All






When the whole of Bengal was under the English Rule as province of the British administered India , Chandernagor being part of it created an independent tradition under the French Rule. So from the political or administrative point of view this town of Bengal was an alien land to the Bengalees. Chandernagor has developed and become total of its own even with its small area because of its separate identity, again, being an inseparable part of Bengal in natural out line, its inner nexus with Bengal is inseparable in art and literature, in all respects.

It is not that there was some town named Chandernagor on the western side of the of the Bhagirathi from very ancient times. No trace of this name could be found before the arrival of the French. As far as is known, the first city named Chandernagor grew up during the French regime covering mainly these three villages – Borokishanpur, Khalisani and Goldalpara just as the city of Calcutta grew under the British Rule with Sutanati, Calcutta and Govindapur. Apart from the three main villages certain other villages like Sabinara, Chaknasirabad etc were possibly included in Chandernagor.

It is not correctly known how or from which source the name of Chandernagor originated. Opinions differ on this – many scholars have suggested that Chandernagor came from Chandra (Moon) or the name of Chandernagor has originated from Chandan (Sandal). The Bhagirathi has meandered down the lap of Chandernagor like a part of the moon’s orb – the appropriateness of the name of Chandernagor comes from this. Borai Chandi Temple is one of the oldest temple in this area. It is said Chandernagor derives from Chandir Nagar . Farasdanga is the other name of Chandernagor. It is taken for granted that the name of Farasdanga or Farasdanga or Fransdongi was rooted in the fact that it was under the French occupation.

THE CHAPEL (INSIDE ST JOSEPH’S CONVENT) :


The Chapel was established in 1720 by the Roman Catholic Clergymen of Tibet mission. In 1869, the Chapel was presented to the Sisters of St Joseph’s Convent by Mrs Gonsalves. The massive entrance door has the date 1720 inscribed on its metal framework.

ST JOSEPH’S CONVENT


In 1861 the order of the sisters of St Joseph of Cluny (Roman Catholic) had founded the St Joseph’s Convent for girls at Chandernagor. It is the oldest (150 years) educational institution in the area. Through the years the school has retained its excellent tradition of exemplary dedication.

NANDA DULAL TEMPLE


The temple of Sri Sri Nandadulal was built (1740) by Indra Narayan Chowdhury. Robert Clive’s cannon balls made bores on the temple of Nandadulal. These two buildings (Chapel and Nandadulal Temple) which silently stood witness to the battle of Chandannagar (March 23, 1757) teach tolerance to the people of this place even today.


INSTITUT DE CHANDERNAGOR (FORMER DUPLEIX PALACE)


Former Naval Godown, erstwhile residence of the French Governor Joseph Francois Dupliex (1696). Re-built in 1814. This regional Institute of collaboration between India and France, sponsored by the Government of India in collaboration with the Government of West Bengal, is intended primarily to give effect to the Article IX of the Treaty of Cession of Chandernagor of the 9th June 1952 between India and France.
The 2nd October, 1954, the town of Chandannagar was merged with West Bengal, the Institute was re-organised in the new name “Indo-French Cultural Centre and Museum”.
One of the principal aims of the Institute is to acquaint the peoples of India and France with each other’s culture, civilization and language, and to widen thus the existing modes of understanding between the two countries.
The building is now the property of the Archaeology Survey of India.
The temple of Sri Sri Nandadulal was built (1740) by Indra Narayan Chowdhury. Robert Clive’s cannon balls made bores on the temple of Nandadulal. These two buildings (Chapel and Nandadulal Temple) which silently stood witness to the battle of Chandannagar (March 23, 1757) teach tolerance to the people of this place even today.

SUB-DIVISIONAL JUDICIAL MAGISTRATE COURT


Former Hotel de Paris was established in 1878.

CLOCK TOWER


The Jail was established in 1850. Sub-Divisional Police Officers’ Office (Bardwari) was erected.

RUPLAL NANDY MEMORIAL CANCER RESEARCH CENTRE


Known as Galakuthi, the freedom fighters used to stay here.

SACRED HEART CHURCH


Known as Roman Catholic Church, the construction was started in 1875 with the financial help of the Government and money collected from lottery and common people.

THE MOSQUE OF URDIBAZAR


The mosque of Urdibazar was established by Seikh Harmanu. The history of Chandannagar on its own is a separate, colourful, self-fulfilling chapter.

BORAI CHANDI TEMPLE


The legend says, the temple was established by Srimanata Saudagar. Debi Chandi idol was discovered here.

PRABARTAK ASHRAM


Prabartak Ashram was established by Motilal Roy in 1920. Chandannagar has been marked as a successful place of worship in the holy rites of freedom struggle. Moti Lal Roy’s Prabartak Ashram is literally a place of revolutionary pilgrimage.

NRITYA GOPAL SMRITI MANDIR


Nritya Gopal Smiriti Madir comprising Chandernagore Library and a hall for public use was established by Harihar Sett in the name of his father. This building was inaugurated by Sir Surendra Nath Bandyopadhyay in 1920 and entry into the house of Chandernagore Library was made under the Presidentship of Mahamahopadhyay Haraprasad Shastri.

JORAGHAT


This was a French Jetty. The ghat was established in 1880 by Durga Charan Rakshit.

RABINDRA BHAWAN


Janhabi Nivas where poet Rabindra Nath inaugurated the 20th Bengali Literary Conference in 1937. The Auditorium and Guest House were constructed.

LIBERTY GATE


Entry point of French Territory on G T Road. Established in 1937.

BHASA SAHID SMARAK


Chandannagar showed the path to the idealistic, visionary, sleepless, active and intrepid patriots devoted to the country in the inaccessible way of penance for freedom.